Botany Bay Training and Activity Centre
Botany Bay is situated in the beautiful Wye Valley above the village of Tintern, approximately 8 miles from Chepstow and 9 miles from Monmouth.
The site covers 27 acres and, for the main part is steeply wooded, providing an excellent environment for traditional Scouting activities such as cooking, pioneering, conservation, and woodcraft.
The site has a large camping field, lots of woodland for Scouting activities, and several buildings including a lodge and training cabins.
Alongside the campsite runs the Wye Valley Walk, a 36 mile route from Chepstow to Ross-on-Wye, offering some spectacular scenery. Just over the River Wye is Offa's Dyke long distance footpath, 186 miles from Sedbury to Prestatyn in North Wales. It is possible to plan many circular hikes using parts of both these paths.
Botany Bay is suitably located close to the range of activities provided in the Forest of Dean, cycling, climbing, caving, canoeing and more. The peaks of the Black Mountains or the Brecon Beacons are easily accessible for more adventurous activities.
More relaxed activities are not forgotten, Chepstow castle, the Forest of Dean Railway and the magnificent Tintern Abbey are just a few examples of the variety of days out in the area.
An orienteering course has been laid out on site and a map is available, also under construction are information points about the birds and trees on site.
The permanent Chapel and campfire circle help provide a traditional Scouting environment.
- Booking form (MS Word) - please use this to confirm booking details after confirming availability by telephone
- User information and instructions (PDF) - Information for users of the site who have already made a booking
- Fire safety leaflet (PDF) - Please familiarise yourself before arrival
- 2017 Information pack (PDF, 651kB) - Retained for interest but forms out of date, please use above files - General information about the site and facilities
- Site Map (PDF, 91kB) - General map showing the layout of the main facilities on site
- Orienteering Map (PDF, 117kB) - Map that can be used to run the permanent orienteering course on site
For bookings please contact
- Alan Hillard, 3 Park Glade, Tintern, Chepstow, NP16 6TX, Phone 01291 689772
This should be confirmed by completing the booking form and sending with a 25% deposit.
Keys are only available by prior arrangement with Mr Hillard. Please phone a few days before arrival to arrange to pick the keys up. Please also note that the neighbours do not hold keys to the site.
For more general information on the site you may also contact the warden on email@example.com
|Gwent Scouts and Guides||Other groups|
|Site users (per head per night)||£1.50||£2.00|
|Use of Lodge (per day) - now inclusive of electric costs||£40||£50|
|Use of Zena's Chalet (per day)||£10||£12|
|Use of cabin (per day per cabin)||£15||£20|
|Day use of field (per person)||50p||50p|
The postal address for the campsite is:
Botany Bay Activity Centre, Botany Bay, Trelleck Road, Tintern, Chepstow, NP16 6SN
OS Grid SO526022 Landranger 162 or Outdoor Leisure 14 (Wye Valley and Forest of Dean)
From Monmouth, follow the A466 south, turn right on entering Tintern at the Wye Valley Hotel, signposted 'Catbrook 2'
From Chepstow, follow the A466 north, turn left just before leaving Tintern at the Wye Valley Hotel, signposted 'Catbrook 2'
Continue up the road for 1 mile, (ignoring the left turn signposted 'Botany Bay') the camp site is on the right just past the white bungalow