Training of adult leaders and other volunteers is one of the primary roles of every Scout area or county. In Gwent, we have an enthusiastic and supportive team of trainers, advisers, facilitators and administrators.
We run an annual programme of courses, including leadership training, safeguarding, and 'Nights Away' - skills for camping and other residential experiences with young people. We also run occasional specialist ongoing training where there is demand. We're also here to support your personal development through self-directed learning. Scouting training for managers is now provided at a country/regional level.
- "Getting Started" training - modules Essential information (01), Tools for the role (03) and Changes in Scouting (06) - are completed within your district, or you can do these online
- Your Personal Learning Plan is a very important part of the training process, and you should agree one with your Training Adviser as soon as possible when you start a new role.
- We recommend you work towards modules Delivering a quality Programme (12A), Programme planning (12B), Running safe activities (17), Administration (11), Growing the section (13), Supporting young people (14) and Promoting positive behaviour (15) during your first eighteen months in Scouting - this will enable you to plan exciting, safe, quality programmes and keep accurate records
- We also recommend modules Fundamentals of Scouting (05), Scouting for all (07), Skills of leadership (08) and Working with adults (09) are completed in following eighteen months, once you have a little leadership experience and look to expand your skills
- First aid (10), Nights Away (16 and 38), Practical skills (18) and International (19) can be completed at any time during your first three years
Resources for learners
Online training, and other resources for learners can be found at www.scouts.org.uk/learnersresources
Courses coming soon
Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are currently restricted to running online training sessions via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
- Spring programme 2021 (PDF) - Details of the modules being offered